Autism Education Certificate Program
Dr. KayDee Caywood
This program is approved for ANSI/IACET Continuing Education Units.
This CTC-approved certificate and Add-On Authorization in Special Education, offered online for continuing education units (CEUs), is designed for those interested in finding out more about working with and teaching those that fall within the Autism Spectrum Disorder. The four course sequence is designed to provide the student with an orientation to the terms and the characteristics involved, assessment and behavior management interaction strategies, a variety of teaching strategies, and train necessary skills in collaborating with parents and families of those in the spectrum. It is required that students complete Introduction to Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders first in the sequence.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify terms and characteristics used with autism spectrum disorder.
- Describe strategies used to facilitate integration in the general classroom while incorporating behavior management programs with those that fall within the autism spectrum.
- Articulate the basic behavioral principles and procedures for improving the behavior of persons identified as having autism.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the theories and research that form the basis of curriculum development and instructional practice for students with autism.
- Demonstrate knowledge of similarities and differences between children with and without autism.
- Build relationships with children, their families, and other professionals as a foundation for designing appropriate learning experiences.
Methods of Assessment and Evaluation
Students are assessed on their comprehension of course materials through class attendance, participation, weekly assignments, and instructor evaluation. Students will receive a grade of Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
Who should enroll?
- Teachers who have students with autism in their classrooms
- Parents of children with autism
- Paraprofessionals working with students who have special needs
- Professionals in fields such as social work, nursing, and child development
Each course is taught online for eight weeks. Courses can also be taught onsite at a National University campus or at an off-site location for groups of 20 or more.
Onsite courses will typically meet either Monday and Wednesday OR Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30 - 10 p.m. On request alternative weekend scheduling can be arranged.
Contact 858-642-8600 to enroll. Please note: there is a $25 application fee to enroll in the Autism Certificate Program.
|2/4/13 to 10/6/13|
|6/3/13 to 2/2/14|