Importance of Accreditation
Choosing the university and degree program right for you can be stressful, and there are a number of things that should factor into your decision-making process. One of these factors is accreditation. The goal of accreditation is to ensure institutions of higher education meet acceptable levels of quality.
Accreditation is a process of institutional peer review performed by objective, not-for-profit external agencies. These agencies evaluate colleges, universities and educational programs for continuous quality. In other words, accreditation is a higher education seal of approval for schools, employers, and most importantly, for students. Students who earn a degree at a regionally accredited institution can be confident that the quality of education, and commitment of an institution to maintain and improve quality, meets the standards of the accrediting body.
WASC Senior College and University Commission
Since 1977, National University has been accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Whether you’re just beginning your college education or continuing studies begun at National University or elsewhere, you can rest assured that NU adheres to strict standards that maintain the level of quality you can expect from an institution of higher learning.
Get answers to your major questions about NU. Click on the boxes below to learn more about NU.
“National University honed my leadership skills and paved the way for career advancement.”
– Edward H., Class of 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
In the United States, accreditation is an independent evaluation of educational quality and rigor. The federal Department of Education recognizes accrediting agencies that meet certain criteria, and that recognition carries with it both a mark of respect and access for their students to federal financial aid.
Accreditation can be granted to public and private, non-profit and for-profit, and associates, bachelors, professional and graduate degree-granting institutions. No institution in the United States is required to seek accreditation; however, because of the recognized benefits, most eligible institutions have sought to become accredited.
There are different types of accreditation available to universities and colleges, each with a unique purpose or role in the academic landscape.
- Institutional accreditation involves a comprehensive review of all institutional functions. Institutional accrediting organizations, Like WSCUC, accredit the institution rather than the individual programs, although new programs are reviewed through the substantive change process. Each accrediting commission and association has standards, policies, institutional review procedures, and staff that are specific to that commission.
- Programmatic accreditation represents an additional level of external peer evaluation and quality assurance that applies to specific programs within an institution. This type of accreditation focuses on how a program prepares students for a specific field and how it leads to professional practice. Employers and students can trust that the program meets quality standards set by the profession.
Program Specific Accreditations
Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP)
- Educational Credential Programs
American Bar Association (ABA)
- Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies
- Associate of Science in Paralegal Studies
- Paralegal Specialist Certificates
Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Computer Science Program Criteria.
The Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Electrical, Computer, Communications, Telecommunication(s) and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
The following business programs are accredited with ACBSP.: Master of Science in Accounting (1:1 model); Master of Human Resource Management (1:1 model); Master of Business Administration (1:1 model); Master of Science in Organizational Leadership (1:1 model); Bachelor of Business Administration (1:1 model only); Doctor of Business Administration; Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration; Doctor of Philosophy in Organizational Leadership. As a leading accreditation association for business education, ACBSP “develops, promotes, and recognizes best practices that contribute to continuous improvement of business education.” The Association emphasizes the importance of “learning how to learn,” by balancing teaching and research activities to enhance the quality of classroom instruction and contribute to student learning. To learn more about the ACBSP, visit their website. [Link to Business Programs Assessment]
Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California (Cal Bar)
- Juris Doctor
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing, master’s degree programs in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at National University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – RN to BSN
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) – Second Bachelor Degree (California)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH)
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Public Health
Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA)
Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice The NU Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA), 10275 W. Higgins Rd., Suite 906, Rosemont, IL 60018-5603; (224) 275-9130. The program’s next review by the COA is scheduled for May 2027
- Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice
Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
The Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) is the accrediting body for the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT). National University’s Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy and Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314, Tel. No. (703) 838-9808. For more information on COAMFTE accreditation, visit their website.
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
Accreditation of a baccalaureate or master’s social work program by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of program quality evaluated through a peer-review process. An accredited program has sufficient resources to meet its mission and goals and the Commission on Accreditation has verified that it demonstrates compliance with all sections of the Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards. Accreditation applies to all program sites and program delivery methods of an accredited program. Accreditation provides reasonable assurance about the quality of the program and the competence of students graduating from the program.
International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
Select business programs at National University has received specialized accreditation through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to IACBE’s member status page on their website.
International Accreditation Commission for Systemic Therapy Education (IACSTE)
National University’s Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy and Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy Programs are also accredited by the International Accreditation Commission for Systemic Therapy Education (IACSTE). Created as a semi-autonomous body under the auspices of the International Family Therapy Association (IFTA), IACSTE focuses on the development and implementation of quality standards for programs around the world that provide systemic therapy education and training.
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Educator Preparation Programs
Additional Approvals and Memberships:
- Approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
- Approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE IAE) for the Master of Science in Cyber Security and Information Assurance program by the National Security Administration
- Approved by the Nevada State Board of Education
- Certified by the Society of Human Resource Management for the Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- A member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- A member of the Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences (CCAS)
- A member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) through its American Language and Intercultural Studies program
Why Choose National University
- Four-Week Courses
- 190+ Degree Programs
- Online or On-Site
- Year-Round Enrollment
- Military Friendly
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
“National University has impacted my career. You can immediately apply what you learn in class to your business.”
-Francisco R., Class of 2016