The master’s degree in teaching program is designed for practicing educators and professionals who want to enhance their teaching skills and broaden their intellectual and professional understanding. In this program, you’ll learn to use educational theory and practice to promote lifelong learning efforts, and become able to instruct leaders in educational settings.
For Candidates in Nevada
Candidates pursuing the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree must already hold a Nevada teaching license. The MAT degree is not a credentialing program and does not meet the standards of quality for licensure or endorsement in teaching in public education in Nevada. Please note that the master’s degree in teaching program learning outcomes are aligned to the Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Commission (InTASC) Standards for Nevada.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply critical thinking skills and active reflection to evaluate and improve professional practice.
- Analyze diversity issues in education to support equity pedagogy, social justice, and community collaboration.
- Apply information literacy skills to inquire, research, teach, and learn.
(10 courses; 45 quarter units)
To receive a Master of Arts in Teaching, students must complete 45 quarter units of graduate work. A total of 4.5 quarter units of graduate credit may be granted for equivalent graduate work completed, as it applies to this degree and if the units were not used in earning another advanced degree.
Those holding National Board Certification qualify for a waiver of one of the following courses: MAT 641, MAT 642, MAT 643, or MAT 644.
Note: Students must have access to Microsoft Office on either a PC or Mac platform.
- EDT 612 Meaningful Learning w/ Tech.
- MAT 641 Education & Social Pluralism
- MAT 642 Program Design
- MAT 643 Models of Teaching
- MAT 644 Foundations of Curriculum
- MAT 640 Applications of Research
- NBC 639 Leadership Portfolio
- MAT 655 Leadership Impact Seminar
- MAT 640C Action Res for the Read Spec
- Specialization in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Specialization in Autism
- Specialization in Best Practices
- Specialization in e-Teaching and Learning
- Specialization in Early Childhood Education
- Specialization in Educational Technology
- Specialization in National Board Certified Teacher Leadership
- Specialization in Reading
- Specialization in Teacher Leadership
- Specialization in Teaching and Learning in a Global Society
- Specialization in Teaching Mathematics