Master of Arts in Sport Psychology – Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) Dual Degree
Master of Arts in Sport Psychology – Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) Dual Degree
Get Psyched for a Career Helping Athletes Improve Their Performance
NU offers an innovative dual-degree program that prepares students to work in clinical settings, as well as with athletes in sports settings. This program provides a unique training opportunity with clinical clients, as well as athletes with clinical concerns while preparing you to apply the skills and knowledge developed from the fields.
Both the Master of Arts in Sport Psychology and the Doctor of Psychology offer the highest level of available training in applied sport and clinical psychology, respectively.The MA/PsyD dual degree program is for practitioner-scholars who seek education and training in sport and clinical psychology.
Program Learning Outcomes
As a graduate of National University’s Sport Psychology PsyD dual degree program, you’ll have knowledge, skills, and competencies in the following areas:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the foundational concepts and guiding principles of scientific psychology
- Develop, articulate, and maintain constructive and contextually sensitive working relationships with clients, colleagues, supervisors, and other professional contacts
- Promote, restore, sustain, or enhance positive functioning and a sense of well-being in clients through preventive, developmental, or remedial services
- Conduct problem identification, selection of appropriate methodology, analysis and interpretation of data, and clear and accurate communication of findings
- Articulate, value, and work consciously with individual and contextual differences within intersecting systems, in accordance with professional standards, laws, and ethics
- Describe, explain, synthesize, and apply performance enhancement techniques and theoretical perspectives with individual performers and teams
- Describe, explain, synthesize, and apply various assessment tools in an evolving process to create effective action plans, including screening for clinical issues
- Use counseling skills to develop working relationships with clients and learn how the self impacts the client-consultant relationship
- Identify sources of bias within themselves, integrate concepts, and adapt their skills to work with a diverse range of populations
- Critically analyze ethical and decision-making principles in a professional and culturally appropriate manner
Students will apply for approved internship sites anywhere in the country that are consistent with their individual interests, training needs, and professional goals. Students will build competency in the diverse clinical skills required of a professional psychologist. Students are required to complete two internships with regards to mental performance consulting. Students will apply for approved PsyD internship sites anywhere in the country that are consistent with their individual interests, training needs, and professional goals. Students will build competency in the diverse clinical skills required of a professional psychologist. Students are required to complete either one full-time, year-long internship or two-half-time, yearlong internships completed over two years’ time.
This innovative linked program allows completion of both degrees within six years of intensive, full-time study (part-time options are available). Students typically earn their Master of Arts in Sport Psychology after their third year and their PsyD after their sixth year. With both degrees, along with licensure, graduates can use the title “sport psychologist” and apply to sit for the Certified Mental Performance Consultant® (CMPC) certification exam, administered through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP). Graduates also earn eligibility to take the psychology licensing exam for the state of California.
The Sport Psychology courses are fully online, and the Clinical Psychology (PsyD) courses are campus-based.
To learn more about each of these curriculums, visit the Master of Arts in Sport Psychology – Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) Dual-Degree program page.
While some schools offer doctoral degrees with a concentration in sport psychology, National University’s curriculum is specifically designed for career-focused individuals seeking specialized credentials to pursue opportunities in this growing field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the demand for psychologists – which includes sport psychologists – to grow by 8 percent between 2020 and 2030.
Regardless of your current and future career goals, our mission is to train practitioner-scholars who will provide comprehensive and culturally sensitive services to a variety of communities. This mission is embraced by our diverse faculty, staff, and student community. Our particular focus on multicultural and diversity competence sets us apart from other PsyD programs.
|PSP 5820||Psychology of Coaching|
|PSP 5821||Gender Issues in Sport|
|PSP 5832||Psychology of Injury|
|PSP 5834||Motor Learning & Performance|
|PSP 5835||Exercise Psychology|
|PSP 5838||Health Psychology|
|PSP 5850A||Clinical Sport Psychology|
|PSP 5843||Mindful Approach to Performance A|
|PSP 5844||Mindful Approach to Performance B|
|PSP 5885||Best Practices Remote Consultation|
|PSP 9030||Develop a Consulting Practice A|
|PSP 9031||Develop a Consulting Practice B|
Students who complete a course to satisfy PsyD core requirements cannot utilize the same course to satisfy concentration requirements.
- On-site courses – This includes on-ground, in-person course instruction, which could be either on-site or at another learning site at a specific time, place, and location. On-site courses may have course information, work, or other education-related items delivered through online environments and tools.
- Online courses – This includes instruction that is fully virtual and online, comprised of regular and substantive interaction between students and their instructors in either an asynchronous or synchronous format. Asynchronous online classrooms provide instruction, lessons, and coursework via an online learning management system that allows students to view instructional materials each week at times of their choice. Synchronous classes require students to log in, engage, and attend at specific times and dates, leveraging web and videoconferencing technologies to provide instruction, lessons, and coursework in real time.
Please note that the modality of any course may vary from the scheduling of any program-specific courses on a month-to-month basis.
Dr. Alvin McLean
Dean of JFK School of Psychology
“If you’re committed to making a difference in the lives of high-performance individuals, this is a great program for you.”
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Successful completion and attainment of National University degrees do not lead to automatic or immediate licensure, employment, or certification in any state/country. The University cannot guarantee that any professional organization or business will accept a graduate’s application to sit for any certification, licensure, or related exam for the purpose of professional certification.
Program availability varies by state. Many disciplines, professions, and jobs require disclosure of an individual’s criminal history, and a variety of states require background checks to apply to, or be eligible for, certain certificates, registrations, and licenses. Existence of a criminal history may also subject an individual to denial of an initial application for a certificate, registration, or license and/or result in the revocation or suspension of an existing certificate, registration, or license. Requirements can vary by state, occupation, and/or licensing authority.
NU graduates will be subject to additional requirements in a program, certification/licensure, employment, and state-by-state basis that can include one or more of the following items: internships, practicum experience, additional coursework, exams, tests, drug testing, earning an additional degree, and/or other training/education requirements.
All prospective students are advised to review employment, certification, and/or licensure requirements in their state, and to contact the certification/licensing body of the state and/or country where they intend to obtain certification/licensure to verify that these courses/programs qualify in that state/country, prior to enrolling. Prospective students are also advised to regularly review the state’s/country’s policies and procedures relating to certification/licensure, as those policies are subject to change.
*Positions may require additional experience, training and other factors beyond successfully completing this degree program.Depending on where you reside, many positions may also require state licensure, and it is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all licensure requirements are met. We encourage you to also review program specific requirements. Any data provided on this page is for informational purposes only and does not guarantee that completion of any degree program will achieve the underlying occupation or commensurate salary.
Terms & Conditions
By checking this box as my electronic signature and submitting this form by clicking the Request Info button above, I provide my express written consent to representatives of National University and National University System affiliates (City University of Seattle, Northcentral University and National University Virtual High School) to contact me about educational opportunities, and to send phone calls, and/or SMS/Text Messages – using automated technology, including automatic dialing system and pre-recorded and artificial voice messages – to the phone numbers (including cellular) and e-mail address(es) I have provided. I confirm that the information provided on this form is accurate and complete. I also understand that certain degree programs may not be available in all states. Message and data rates may apply. I understand that consent is not a condition to purchase any goods, services or property, and that I may withdraw my consent at any time by sending an email to [email protected].