Associate of Arts Major in School-Site Paraprofessional
Dr. Janet S. Richards
The Associate in Arts Degree in School-Site Paraprofessional prepares candidates to function effectively as a member of an instructional team. While paraprofessionals working in the field may have varying responsibilities, their primary role is to provide support in the classroom. This program will provide the necessary knowledge, skills and dispositions to assist certified/licensed educators by providing quality educational support.
Non-residents of California; military personnel, or their dependents; and international students should contact the Department of Education of the state in which they reside or intend to reside, or the Ministry of Education of the country in which they live, to determine specific requirements for employment. State or country specific coursework may be required to obtain employment. Candidates assume the responsibility for determining and meeting these requirements. Candidates are required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance (fingerprint and identification process) prior to scheduling any coursework with a field experience component.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Differentiate among the roles and responsibilities of paraprofessionals, teachers, administrators, parents/guardians and other team members.
- Demonstrate the required dispositions to assist the teacher and students in the classroom.
- Analyze the pertinent laws, regulations, policies and procedures; including knowledge of health, safety and emergency procedures.
- Demonstrate strategies, techniques, and delivery methods for instruction in reading, writing, math and science.
- Prepare materials to support learning of required subject matter.
- Utilize strategies to facilitate effective integration of special needs learners into various classroom settings.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural and individual differences and disabilities.
- Develop strategies to facilitate learner acquisition of social skills and exercising self-control and self-management; based upon knowledge of learner characteristics and factors that influence behavior.
- Record relevant information/data about learners using assessment instruments specified by the teacher to document and maintain data.
To receive an Associate in Arts Degree with a major in School-Site Paraprofessional, candidates must complete at least 90 quarter units; thirty four and a half (34.5) quarter units are comprised of general education requirements and 45 quarter units are major course requirements. The minimum residency requirement is 31.5 quarter units. In the absence of transfer credit additional general electives may need to be taken to meet the overall degree unit requirements. Refer to the section on undergraduate admission procedures for specific information regarding application and evaluation.
Requirements for the Major (10 courses; 45 quarter units)