HOS220 Intercultural Competence
Lead Faculty: Dr Bruce Buchowicz
Overview of the study of communication and culture within the hospitality industry. Specifically, the ways that culture influences our communication and the development of both professional and personal relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Identify the verbal and non-verbal means of intercultural competence.
- Demonstrate awareness of cultural values and the influence of those values upon individual attitudes.
- Explain ways to improve the intercultural communications in various professional and social settings.
- Discuss how cultural differences, attitudinal factors, and characteristics of the communication process influence interaction in the intercultural setting.
- Identify an awareness of one's own cultural attitudes, values, beliefs, and assumptions.
- Synthesize the use of on-line resources to research and prepare written and oral assignments.