Lead Faculty: Dr. Connie Fajardo
Course DescriptionAn introduction to the theory and practice of federal income taxation of partnerships, subchapter S, and subchapter C corporations. Students learn the use of tax research publications.
- Contrast the tax ramifications of adopting a partnership versus a corporate form of business entity.
- Describe and apply the rules pertaining to nonliquidating distributions to partners.
- Explain the tax consequences that result from the sale or exchange of a partnership interest.
- Compare and contrast the disposition of a partnership interest by gift, by death and by abandonment.
- Apply the tax law with respect to the liquidation of a partnership.
- Distinguish between a Subchapter andquot;Sandquot; and a Subchapter andquot;Candquot; corporation, and summarize the differences in tax treatment.
- Describe the tax consequences of incorporating a new or existing business.
- Explain and apply tax regulations relating to property transfers to a controlled corporation.
- Distinguish between nonliquidating distributions of a corporation, and distributions made in the complete liquidation of the corporation.