Online Writing Center
How to Use the Online Writing Center
The online writing center provides tutoring assistance to students via the Internet, to both onsite and online students. The online writing center is available seven days a week and offers 25-minute synchronous online sessions using web conferencing software, email, telephone or a combination of these. To use the online writing center, all you need is an active email account, an Internet connection, and phone line.
NOTE: You must remain online during the session in order to interact with the writing consultant.
To access the Online writing Center:
- Go to the online scheduler and make an appointment.
- Five to 10 minutes before your appointment, log in to the scheduler, and click on your appointment so that the appointment details open in a new window.
- Then click "Start or Join Online Consultation." This will lead you to an online meeting space where you'll be able to upload documents for you and the consultant to review together.
The online meeting space allows us to communicate by voice, so the consultation will work best if your computer has audio capabilities, including a microphone. (A headset microphone works well.) The online meeting room does have video chat capabilities, but you are welcome to turn off your webcam if you have one. Should you encounter problems with these technologies, the consultant will be happy to talk with you by phone.
We look forward to working with you!
Students who visit the Writing Center agree to:
- Respect the writing consultants and respond to them in a courteous manner in all modes of communication: voice, text, email.
- Respect the tutorial process.
- Be receptive to suggestions and strategies for working with the consultant.
- Take responsibility for their own writing process and for what they turn in to their instructor.
- Make every effort to cancel appointments that they cannot attend. Students who miss more than two appointments without cancelling them may be prevented from making further appointments.
- Arrive on time for their appointment. Students who are more than 10 minutes late may lose their appointment time.
- Maintain an environment free of harassment, stalking, threats, abuse, insults, or humiliation. This includes, but is not limited to demeaning written or oral comments of an ethnic, religious, sexist (or sexual orientation), or racist nature; and intimidations or unwanted sexual advances.
- Abide by all rules and regulations published by the University and agree to be subject to disciplinary actions as described in the General Catalog.
Failure to adhere this code of conduct may result in the loss of Writing Center privileges.