Nadia L., Class of 2020

Filing a Complaint in Your State

Nadia L. Class of 2020

National University works with higher education authorities in U.S. states and jurisdictions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements, including complaint processes. Institutions of higher education are required to provide prospective and current students with contact information for relevant external entities tasked with complaint oversight.

National University strives to give all our students the best experience possible, which is why the university offers a wide range of services to support students from enrollment through graduation. If a prospective or current student has a complaint, we encourage you to resolve them informally or formally through Student Services before submitting a complaint to an external entity.

Students can also reach out to the Ombudsman Office for assistance in addressing concerns. The Ombudsman’s Office is an informal, impartial, independent, neutral and confidential place for community members to address concerns. This office strives for fairness of process and healthy conflict resolution; the Ombudsman can provide unbiased assistance and guidance in resolving any complaints or concerns.

However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, students can file a complaint with your state of residence or the University’s accrediting organization. Each of the relevant state higher education regulatory agencies and the University’s accrediting organization are listed below with their contact information.

Students who wish to file a complaint based upon discriminatory treatment should review The Civil Rights/Title IX information located on the website and in the General Catalog. Students who wish to file a complaint with the University’s accrediting agency should contact WSCUC (information below).

Contact Information for State Higher Education Regulatory Agencies

Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education
PO Box 302130
Montgomery AL 36130-2000

Alabama Commission on Higher Education
100 North Union Street
Montgomery AL 36130-2000

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
PO Box 110505
Juneau AK 99811-0505
Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1400 W. Washington Street, Room 260
Phoenix AZ 85007

Arkansas Higher Education Coordination Board
114 East Capitol Ave.
Little Rock AR 72201

An individual may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education for review of a complaint. The bureau may be contacted at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833,, Telephone: (916) 431-6924 and Fax: (916) 263-1897.

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE)
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento CA 95833
Telephone: 916.431.6924
Fax: 916.263.1897

Colorado Commission on Higher Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver CO 80202

Connecticut Office of Higher Education
450 Columbus Blvd, Suite 707
Hartford, CA 06103
[email protected]

Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
165 Capitol Avenue, Room 110
Hartford CT 06106

Delaware Higher Education Office
Carvel State Office Building, 5th Floor
820 N. French Street
Wilmington DE 19801-3509
District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission
Office of the State Superintendent of Education
810 First Street, NE, 9th Floor
Washington DC 20002
Florida Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee FL 32399-0400
Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
2082 E Exchange Pl. #220
Tucker GA 30084-5334
Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 310
Honolulu HI 96813


Idaho State Board of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0037
Illinois Board of Higher Education
431 East Adams, 2nd Floor
Springfield Illinois 62701-1404

Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education
302 W. Washington Street, Room E201
Indianapolis IN 46204
Iowa College Student Aid Commission
475 SW 5th Street, Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50319
Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka KS 66612-1368
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
100 Airport Road, Third Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Louisiana Board of Regents
PO Box 3677
Baton Rouge LA 70821
Maine State Board of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta ME 4333

National University is registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). If a prospective or current student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institution’s internal complaint resolution process, the complaint may then be brought to the MHEC or Maryland’s Office of the Attorney General. Contact information for these offices’ are included below:

Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty St., 10th Floor
Baltimore MD 21201
Phone: 800.974.0203

Maryland Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 Saint Paul St.
Baltimore MD 21202
Phone: 410.528.8662
Toll-Free: 888.743.0823

Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston MA 02108
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
PO Box 30714
Okemos MI 48864
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul MN 55108-5227
Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson MS 39211-6453
Missouri Department of Higher Education
205 Jefferson Street, PO Box 1469
Jefferson City MO 65102-1469
Montana Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
2500 Broadway St., PO Box 203201
Helena MT 59620-3201
Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
PO Box 95005
Lincoln NE 68509-5005
Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education Commission
8778 S. Maryland Parkway Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123
New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission
3 Barrell Court #300
Concord NH 03301-8531
New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
20 W. State Street
PO Box 542
Trenton NJ 8625
New Mexico Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo Street
Santa Fe NM 87505

New York Office of College and University Evaluation
5 North Mezzanine, Education Building
Albany NY 12234
North Caroline University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill NC 27515-2688
North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education
State Capitol – 15th Floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept. 270
Bismarck ND 58505-0610

Ohio Board of Regents
30 East Broad Street, 36th Floor
Columbus OH 43215

Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools
35 East Gay Street, Suite 403
Columbus OH 43225

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City OK 73104

Students should attempt to resolve any grievances they may have with their school first. Should attempts to resolve these problems with appropriate school officials fail, or should the student be dissatisfied with the final outcome of the college complaint process, then the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), can respond to a formal complaint.

Students may contact the Higher Education Coordinating Commission at the below address or by sending an email to [email protected].

Students may also access our Complaints web page at

Higher Education Coordinating Commission
3225 25th St. SE,
Salem, OR 97302

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
PO Box 1900 San Juan PR
Pennsylvania Department of Higher Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg PA 17126-0333
RI Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner
560 Jefferson Boulevard
Warwick, RI 02886


South Carolina Commission on higher Education
1333 Main Street, Suite 200
Columbia SC 29201
South Dakota Board of Regents
306 E. Capitol Ave, Suite 200
Pierre SD 57501-2545
Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Division of Postsecondary School Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville TN 37243
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
College Readiness and Success Division
PO Box 12788
Austin TX 78711-2788

Utah Department of Commerce Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City UT 84114
Vermont Department of Education
120 State Street
Montpelier VT 05620-2501
Virginia State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
James Monroe Building
101 N. 14th St.
Richmond VA 23219
Washinton State Higher Education
917 Lakeridge Way
PO Box 43430
Olympia WA 98504-3430
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd. East, Suite 700
Charleston WV 25301
Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
30 W. Mifflin St., 9th Floor
PO Box 8696
Madison WI 53708
Wyoming Department of Education Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne WY 82002-0050

Registering a Complaint with University’s Accrediting Organization

Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

Students may file a complaint with the University’s institutional accrediting body by contacting the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission at [email protected]. Any student desiring to file a complaint must satisfy specific criteria as published in the official Complaint and Third-Party Comment Policy and must submit the required Complaint Form. The policy and form are available for download on the WASC Document List.