This blended program prepares students for the industrial revolution of the 21 st century. There is no doubt that we need to re-think our way of living, producing and consuming in order to eliminate the current contradictions between the natural world, the community and the profitability of businesses. In fact, many corporations, cities, states and countries are introducing new policies and programs from an emphasis on pollution control to pollution prevention to sustainable practices. Sustainability in the sense that programs do incorporate all social, ecological and economic conditions, as well as, the general principle of meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
This program is designed to provide methods and theories appropriate to the study of sustainability from business perspectives to practical engineering. After a comprehensive interdisciplinary introduction to sustainability, students are exposed to managerial key ideas and practices with sustainable perspectives: risk assessment, life cycle, lean supply chain, firm excellence and innovation. Students are also exposed to combine engineering and sustainability concepts into the management practices of energy, environment, watershed and buildings. The strength of the program comes from its engineering and management blended nature, as well as its theoretical and practical approach.
After completing the MS in Sustainability Management degree, students can enter the job market or pursue further higher educational degrees. Possible types of jobs include: Project Manager, Sustainability Manager, Sustainability Analyst, Sustainable Design Professional, Engineer, Environmental Consultant, Sustainability Consultant, Energy Efficiency Analyst, Operations Manager, Development Specialist, Resource Manager, etc. Students interested in continuing, their educational careers can pursue doctoral degrees in sustainability, management, sustainable development, natural resources and sustainability, or other related doctoral degrees.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply scientific knowledge and methods required to evaluate sustainability concepts and systems.
- Design, manufacture, and manage processes in an environmentally conducive manner.
- Analyze engineering and management problems in their social and environmental context.
- Develop economic, environmental, and social sound sustainable decisions.
- Evaluate the impact of products, processes, and activities through life cycle assessment.
- Develop written communication skills required for this profession.
- Demonstrate professional, legal, and ethical responsibility in decision making practices.
- SUS 601 Introduction to Sustainability
- SUS 602 Enterprise Excellence
- SUS 603 Sustainable Innovation
- SEM 604 Life Cycle and Risk Assessment
- SEM 605 Energy Management
- SEM 606 Environmental Management
- SEM 607 Watershed Management
- SEM 608 Sustainable Buildings
- SUS 604 Sustainable Supply Chain
- SEM 610A Project I
- SEM 610B Project II