Comprehensive overview of principles and practices related to the governance and management of nonprofit organizations. Topics include the historical, legal, and social foundations of the nonprofit sector as well as aspects of nonprofit operations including mission statements, ethics and leadership, managerial and financial controls, building organizational capacity, fundraising and revenue generation, marketing and external environment, board governance, information technology, performance management, and IRS compliance and transparency.
- Differentiate between the important functions of the nonprofit sector in relation to private and government sectors
- Argue the nonprofit sector’s unique contributions to the civic, social, and financial landscape of society.
- Develop a working knowledge of the essential elements involved in managing and stewarding a nonprofit organization in the 21st century.
- Investigate the size, scope, and diversity of the nonprofit sector
- Navigate the legalities of the 501(c)3 structure, the legal documents that bind nonprofits, and the implications for governance, financial management, and transparency
- Examine the various stakeholders of nonprofit organizations: constituents, regulators, personnel, volunteers, and the community
- Assess the governance structures of nonprofit organizations and how they interact: board of directors, advisory committees, and executive personnel.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management