An introduction to the wide spectrum of legal and regulatory concerns that human resources managers face in the workplace (EEO laws, affirmative action, compliance requirements, prevention of employment-related liability). The course ties in the development, aims, structure and function of labor and employer organizations, examines the relationship of labor and management, and bargaining and resolution of employer-employee issues.
- Identify federal and major California employment laws.
- Define terms used in describing forms of employment discrimination.
- Recognize situations in which equal employment principles affect daily operations in hiring, staffing, discipline, compensation, promotion, and termination.
- Discuss the responsibilities of managers and supervisors in the prevention of liability arising from employment relationships.
- Describe policies and procedures designed to avoid discrimination and harassment litigation and/or liability.
- Discuss the importance of ethical conduct in employment relations in creating productive working environments and avoiding liability as an employer.
- Communicate legal analysis of workplace issues in writing.
- Provide information about the labor and management relationship determined by collective bargaining practices.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management