SCM640 Distribution Management
The ability to deliver the right products to the right customer at the right cost, the right time and the right quantity is mission-critical to any business' success. Successful companies have turned this competency into a key competitive advantage. With most supply chains now spanning the globe several times over, a multitude of service providers, IT systems and distribution systems must all work in concert to deliver excellence. This course will provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the building blocks of transportation modes, warehousing techniques and the strategies companies employ to achieve a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Contrast the costs and values of establishing distribution networks.
- Describe the services of distribution centers and how their value-added activities integrate with specific distribution strategies.
- Explain cost and service features of each transportation mode and their role in creating winning distribution strategies.
- Employ information systems to aid in making distribution decisions.
- Compare performance metrics of alternative distribution networks.
- Appraise the cost and service trade-offs between inventory and transportation.