Broaden your personal skill set with a Master of Arts in Special Education degree from National University. More and more, there is a demand for educators and professionals with current understanding of the characteristics and needs of individuals with disabilities. The Master of Arts in Special Education degree is designed for teachers already licensed in special or general education and/or for professionals who want to broaden their intellectual and professional understanding of the role of special education within the Pre-K-12 setting.
In this online program, candidates will expand their knowledge by developing, analyzing, and evaluating innovative and ethical practices in special education; and sustaining their commitment as educational practitioners and leaders in the field of education. The Master of Arts in Special Education will enhance job opportunities in the field of education for teacher practitioners as well as those in leadership or advocacy roles. Those in positions such as a special education consultant, adjunct or part-time faculty, teacher mentor or supervisor, school-site administrator, counselor, school psychologist, lawyer specializing in special education, and those who plan to eventually complete a terminal degree could benefit from this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the process for creating a shared vision and philosophy of establishing effective teaching and learning of students with intellectual or behavioral disabilities at a school-wide level.
- Evaluate the role of special education practitioners and leaders in different contexts of education in terms of implementing the vital elements of special education.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of various research methodologies in relation to a given topic related to special education.
- Analyze the ongoing process of establishing a collaborative and inclusive setting for students with disabilities to access a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE).
- Evaluate the implications of special education law and procedures before applying them in different contexts of educational practices.
- Analyze the requirements of the roles of special education practitioners for providing access to curriculum, accommodations and modifications, by utilizing technology, including augmentative and assistive technology and principles of Universal Design for Learning.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education