Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
The Master of Public Health (MPH) is a graduate professional degree designed to prepare students for leadership positions in health promotion and disease prevention, community mental health, or public healthcare administration. Public health involves multidisciplinary and collaborative strategies for solving health-related problems and promoting social justice, including programs that serve the public sector at all levels—local, state, federal, and global. Faculty members have expertise and experience in public health applied research and in higher education.
The master's degree in public health program emphasizes the application of broad-based, state-of-the-art quantitative and qualitative skills needed for problem-solving. Special attention is given to enhancement of communication skills needed to work with diverse populations. Ideal candidates for the MPH program are those students looking for career advancement within the public health sector; and those looking for career transition into public health from other health professions. Graduates will enhance their opportunities for professional growth and job placement through carefully planned internships and a comprehensive capstone experience. The MPH program is accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH).
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze and interpret health data.
- Describe the distribution and determinants of disease, disabilities and death in human populations.
- Evaluate the environmental factors that affect the health of a community.
- Analyze the planning, organization, administration and policies of health care organizations.
- Apply the concepts and methods of social justice and social and behavioral sciences relevant to the identification and solution of public health problems.
- HCA 600 U.S. Healthcare System
- COH 602 Biostatistics
- COH 606 Epidemiology
- COH 604 Theories of Health Behavior
- COH 608 Public Health & the Enviro
- COH 611 Public Health Research Methods
- COH 500 Global Health Experience
- COH 691 Public Health Internship
- COH 692 Public Health Capstone
**National University’s Master of Public Health program is scheduled for a review by its specialized accrediting agency, the Council on Education for Public Health, May 10-11, 2018. As part of the reaccreditation process, the program is requesting third party comments. Any stakeholder who would like to send CEPH can do so by emailing staff coordinator, Olivia C. Luzzi, at email@example.com or through mail at 1010 Wayne Avenue, Suite 220, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Third-party comments are due to CEPH by April 11, 2018, which is 30 days prior to the scheduled site visit.**