NSG 200 Foundations of Nursing
Using the nursing process, this course focuses on meeting basic human needs through planning and implementing nursing. This course covers beginning knowledge and skills required for nursing care of patients with commonly occurring health problems. Basic concepts of therapeutic communication are discussed. Concurrent enrollment in NSG 200A is required.
- Discuss the steps in the nursing process.
- Organize a patient plan of care using the language of nursing.
- Identify ethical and legal issues surrounding meeting basic human needs for health care particularly as they relate to end-of-life scenarios.
- Identify cultural and spiritual issues surrounding meeting basic human needs for health care particularly as they relate to end-of-life scenarios.
- Identify appropriate nursing actions and their rationale to respond to human health and illness.
- Identify the rationale for use of techniques of therapeutic communication.
- Understand the key-terms used in the study of pharmacology.
- Identify the principles and describe methods of drug administration and IV therapy.
- Calculate drug dosages and IV doses using the Apothecary and Metric Systems.