Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science
Mr. Philip Payne
The Bachelor of Science degree with a Major in Clinical Laboratory Science will provide the students an opportunity to complete their degree entirely online, at a pace that suits their needs. The program contains necessary prerequisites to make application to the Laboratory Field Services Branch of the California Department of Health for a trainee license. After sucessful completion of a 52 week CLS training program at a California approved training facility, the student can apply for the licensing examination for licensure as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. Some graduates may choose to find employment in the clinical diagnostics/medical device industry, or pursue advanced degrees such as in Healthcare Management.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Assess clinical laboratory practice and procedure by applying the knowledge of technical skills and theory obtained.
- Identify problems in the clinical laboratory and establish a course of action to correct them.
- Distinguish among laboratory methods which use advanced analytical, immunological, microbiological, hematological, and molecular techniques.
- Evaluate laboratory procedure theory, methodology and results.
- Utilize critical thinking skills in Clinical Laboratory situations.
- Conduct research using primary literature sources.
- Produce written work of the standards required by employers in the industry or post graduate programs.
To receive the Bachelor of Science degree with a Major in Clinical Laboratory Science, students must complete at least 180 quarter units as articulated below, 45 of which must be completed in residence at National University and 76.5 of which must be completed at the upper-division level. Refer to the section on undergraduate admission procedures for specific information regarding admission and evaluation.
Requirements for the Major (11 courses; 49.5 quarter units)
BST 322 Intro to Biomedical Statistics HSC 300 Legal/Ethical Issues & Hlth Pr CLS 320 Clinical Lab Management CLS 301 Clinical Biochemistry CLS 401 Quantitative Analysis CLS 305 Clinical Immunology CLS 315 Molecular Diagnostics CLS 310 Clinical Virology CLS 405 Clinical Microbiology CLS 410 Clinical Hematology CLS 495 Clinical Lab Science Capstone
Upper-Division Electives (7 courses; 31.5 quarter units) Students must complete a minimum of 31.5 quarter units of upper division electives to fulfill the upper-division unit requirements for the B.S. with a Major in Clinical Laboratory Science. The following courses are strongly recommended: