HED308 Mental and Emotional Health
Exploration of emotional well being and mental health issues including stress, anxiety, depression, grief, self-abuse/ suicide, eating disorders, anger and oppositional defiance disorders. Resiliency, health choices, and lifestyle factors effecting overall health and well-being along with identification, intervention,and referral strategies will be examined.
- Identify the risk factors for emotional disturbance, mental illness, and self abuse/suicide.
- Compare and contrast positive youth development, asset development, and resiliency as factors in mental health.
- Identify the causes of and the physical, mental, emotional and social effects of stress
- Describe the effects of anger, anxiety, grief, and depression on health and well-being.
- Describe the key components of healthy relationships and role of social support and health.
- Identify school, community, public health and internet resources and social supports that can be used in promoting mental and emotional health
- Identify strategies to assist individuals in making positive mental and emotional health choices.
- Discuss intervention and referral strategies for working with students at risk of or suffering from mental illness