COH614 Psychosocial Epidemiology
Lead Faculty: Dr Gina Piane
Course DescriptionAnalysis of the epidemiological study of mental illness. Investigation of contemporary applications of epidemiology in investigating disease distribution and etiology. Emphasis on the use of epidemiological studies to plan mental health services, design prevention programs and to evaluate the effectiveness of mental health programs.
- Analyze the available descriptive epidemiological approaches used by mental health agencies in measuring the disease burden;
- Evaluate the classic studies in the field of epidemiology of mental disorders;
- Apply methods used in epidemiologic study of mental illness;
- Critically evaluate the differences in studying mental disorders and other types of illnesses;
- Apply epidemiologic studies in planning mental health services and designing prevention programs;