ITM230 Computer Network Overview
Lead Faculty: Ms Debra A. Bowen
This course emphasizes the network operational concepts and implementation. It provides students with an understanding of network basics and emerging local area network technologies. Topics include: integration of hardware and software components, network architecture, protocols, interconnection of networks using bridges and routers, network links using cable modems and DSL and IEEE 802 network access standards. TCP/IP will also be reviewed within the context of networking protocols.
- Identify and describe the core principles of network architecture and operations.
- Identify network devices and explain their functions and the way they operate.
- Describe LAN interface devices, cabling requirements, and installation procedures.
- Explain HTTP, TCP/IP and PPP protocols.
- Apply networking technology concepts within student projects.
- Understand basic Network Security concepts.