SSE607 Fire and Explosion Engineering
Lead Faculty: Dr. Shekar Viswanathan
Introduction to fire science; fire prevention, containment and extinguishment; methods of assessment of fire risks; hydrocarbon fires and explosions; methods of estimating explosion overpressures; dynamic response of structures to sudden overpressures; explosion detection, control and mitigation techniques; active and passive fire protection systems; escape routes; legal requirements.
- Interpret code requirements for fire safety.
- Understand the concepts of fire severity and fire resistance.
- Understand the behavior of structural elements and buildings exposed to fires.
- Assess the fire performance of existing structures.
- Develop control and mitigation techniques for fire prevention.