EGR225 Statics & Strength of Material
Lead Faculty: Dr. Shekar Viswanathan
Introduction to the key topics in strength of materials with focus on applications, problem solving and design of structural members, mechanical devices, and engineering systems.
- Explain the major principles of strength of materials.
- Contrast applications of the strength of materials in manufacturing, civil and construction engineering.
- Describe the basic principles of engineering statics.
- Contrast the issues of equilibrium of a particle and equilibrium of a rigid body.
- Apply methods of calculating centroids and moments of inertia for bodies that are combinations of simple geometric shapes.
- Understand major principles of direct shear, bearing stress, bending stress, and torsional shear stress.