CEE440 VLSI Design
Lead Faculty: Dr. Peilin Fu
VLSI design introduces students to fabrication and layout techniques necessary to design large scale systems. Specific topics include: CMOS logic, MOSFET theory, layout design rules including all the factors required for an effective circuit design. Advanced topics include: capacitance requirements, clocking, and power consumption, circuit simulation and performance estimation.
- Design logic circuit layouts for CMOS circuits.
- Extract the analog parasitic elements using a simulator.
- Build a cell library to be used by other chip designers.
- Insert elementary testing hardware into the VLSI chip.
- Analyze VLSI circuit timing using Logical Effort analysis.
- Design elementary data paths for microprocessors, including moderate-speed adders, subtracters, and multipliers.
- Estimate the power consumption of a VLSI chip.
- Assemble an entire chip.
- explain the chip technology scaling process.