The California Single Subjects Teaching Credential with Internship Option is designed for candidates dedicated to instructional leadership in the P-12 settings. Courses meet the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requirements for a Preliminary Single Subject teaching credential. Candidates are required to successfully complete Core courses, single subject methods' area, and a clinical practice path (student teaching or internship).
*Please note: Students need to satisfy/pass the Basic Skills Requirement (e.g., CBEST) and Subject Matter Competency Requirement (e.g., CSET) early (prior to Credential Area Methods coursework) into their programs to avoid interruptions to program progress and/or financial aid arrangements.
For additional information on credential requirements, please see the School of Education Credential Information section of the catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in making subject matter comprehensible for all P12 learners, including those with diverse learning needs.
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in assessing all P12 learners, including those with diverse learning needs.
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in engaging/supporting all P12 learners, including those with diverse learning needs.
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in designing/planning learning experiences for all P12 learners, including those with diverse learning needs.
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in creating/maintaining effective learning environments for all P12 learners,including those with diverse learning needs.
- Integrate knowledge and abilities in being a legal, ethical, and professional educator for all P12 learners, including those with diverse learning needs.
(12 courses; quarter units)
To receive a California Preliminary Single Subjects Teaching Credential, candidates must complete at least 54 quarter units of graduate work, with 2 co-requisite courses, such that, 48 units must be taken in residence at National University.
Candidates choosing the Internship option to obtain the Preliminary Single Subject teaching credential will need to meet the Internship Eligibility requirements.
The CTC mandates that all approved internship programs require a minimum of 120 hours of pre-service coursework prior to becoming the teacher of record. 4.5 quarter units are equal to 40 clock hours. These pre-service courses must be successfully completed prior to eligibility for completing the internship option.
- TED 602 Educational Foundations
- SPD 604 Psychological Fdns of Educ.
- TED 606 Equity and Diversity
- SPD 608 Exceptionalities
- TED 626 Classroom Management
- TED 623 Lang. Dev. Methods: Secondary
- TED 632 Content Area Curriculum
- TED 633 Content Area Instruct-Assess
- TED 634 Content Area Literacy
- TED 530A Student Teaching I
- TED 530B Student Teaching II
- TED 531A Student Teaching Seminar I
- TED 531B Student Teaching Seminar II
- TED 610 Best Internship Practices
- TED 628A Internship Clinical Practice I
- TED 628B Internship Clinical Pract. II
- TED 631A Internship Seminar I
- TED 631B Internship Seminar II