The General Education program for the Associate of Arts degrees promotes the intellectual growth of all students in National University’s Associate level undergraduate degree programs. The general education curriculum assumes that undergraduates will not concentrate on a major field of study until they have completed a general education program that provides instruction in writing and mathematical skills as well as introducing the student to subject matter in the Humanities, Information Literacy and Science and Social Science disciplines. Students will also address the cultural diversity of contemporary society.
Students in the general education program are advised to focus on writing and speech communication first. Students are then counseled to explore mathematical and other formal systems to develop abstract reasoning abilities and are encouraged to take a course in informational literacy. Finally, all students are required to have exposure to the natural sciences, the humanities, fine arts, language, and the social and behavioral sciences. Many of these courses include an examination of the human condition in a multicultural society.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a capacity for responsible citizenship in a diverse society.
- Demonstrate skills for self-development that contribute to lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate literacy in written and oral communication.
- Apply information literacy skills in developing research projects and presentations.
- Demonstrate awareness of past and present human and cultural diversity.
- Identify ethical issues raised in different disciplines.
- Demonstrate scientific and quantitative literacy skills in appraising information and solving problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the elements of critical thinking to analyze issues, solve problems, and make decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to work successfully in a team.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences