Gain the skills you need to conduct research and use clinical trials to improve overall human health. A Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science from National University gives you the education needed for this role with the ability to complete your degree online or on campus. You’ll learn to develop methods, instruments, and procedures for medical applications and data analysis, and to prepare and analyze medical samples.
The program includes the academic prerequisites for a California Department of Health trainee application to the Laboratory Field Services Branch of the California Department of Health for a trainee License. Once students graduate they must successfully complete a 52 week CLS training program on their own prior to applying for the exam for licensure as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Assess clinical laboratory practice and procedure by applying the knowledge of technical skills and theory obtained.
- Identify problems in the clinical laboratory and establish a course of action to correct them.
- Distinguish among laboratory methods which use advanced analytical, immunological, microbiological, hematological, and molecular techniques.
- Evaluate laboratory procedure theory, methodology, and results.
- Utilize critical thinking skills in Clinical Laboratory situations.
- Produce written work of the standards required by employers in the industry or post graduate programs.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.