Applications in Leadership
Supervised application of theoretical concepts in practical settings. Candidates complete a portfolio of administrative activities demonstrating competency in areas identified in the California Professional Standards for Educational Leaders as sanctioned by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for awarding of the preliminary administrative services credential. A triad consisting of the University Supervisor, the Site Mentor/Administrator, and the candidate, develops a plan at the onset of the class. This plan ensures that the activities in which the candidate is engaged are aligned in a sequence so that they coincide with the theory learned in the courses the candidate will take. As the candidate has courses scheduled in advance, the triad has advance notice of the course learning outcomes and can plan accordingly. The plan stresses day-to day administrative functions as well as policy analysis and implementation. This course is the first course in the program and will be taken concurrently with all other program required courses. This course takes 7-12 months to complete. It must be completed within 12 months of being scheduled. This course must be completed in residence. All students pursuing a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential, unless approved for the Intern program (EDA 659I), must complete EDA 659B. Those not pursing a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and wish a Master in Education only, must take the EDA 659C.
- Create a vision of learning and growth for all students that is shared and supported by the school community.
- Create a collaborative culture of teaching and learning informed by professional standards and focused on student and professional growth.
- Analyze the school organization, to cultivate a safe and productive learning and working environment.
- Design a system of collaboration that includes families and other stakeholders to address diverse student and community interests and mobilize community resources.
- Evaluate aspects of professional and personal ethics, integrity, justice and equity that are conducive to leading a school or school system.
- Analyze the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural contexts affecting education to improve education policies and practices.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.