Master of Arts in Performance Psychology
The Master of Arts in Performance Psychology program focuses upon the intersection of performance psychology techniques, counseling, peak performance psychology, and sport science. The performance psychology graduate program coursework covers theory, research, and applied techniques across the fields of business, exercise physiology, the fine arts, military and combat psychology, and sport psychology. Coursework contributes to students’ academic requirements for certification by the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP), which is the premier sport, exercise, and health psychology organization in North America offering sport psychology certification to its members.
By participating in practical and tailored hands-on learning experiences, graduates are able to apply their knowledge to settings including university and professional athletes, fine arts performance settings, corporate settings, children in school and community sports organizations, coaching, and teaching.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the means by which psychological factors influence performance.
- Analyze empirical and theoretical research related to the major.
- Apply theoretically sound performance enhancement assessments and techniques with individual performers and teams representing various competitive arenas.
- Integrate theoretical perspectives from counseling and sport psychology and related fields into performance settings.
- Apply counseling skills to working relationships with clients and athletes.
- Apply ethical principles in a professional and culturally appropriate manner.
- PSY 602 Sport/Performance Psychology
- HUB 601A Organizational Behavior
- HUB 641 Stages of Adult Development
- PSY 637A Multicul Iss Perform Consult
- PSY 603 Performance Psy Alt Population
- PSY 614 Counseling in Performance Psy
- PSY 613 Performance Consulting Skills
- HUB 650 Behavioral Research
- HUB 642 Theories of Behavior Change
- PSY 604 Performance Psy Corporate Pops
- PSY 607 Ethics in Performance Psy
- PSY 606 Motor Behavior
- PSY 609 Psychopathology
- PSY 639 Consulting Practice Dev.
- PSY 615 Fieldwork