IHM 630 Spirituality, Health & Healing
Lead Faculty: Dr. Patric M. Schiltz
Course DescriptionThis course will examine an integrative approach to spirituality, health, and healing. The characteristics of spirituality, spirituality and the care provider and spiritual rituals will be explored. Next, there will be a discussion of providing spiritual care, spiritual assessment, therapeutic interventions, and healing environments. Lastly, the spiritual dimension in end-of-life care, and spiritual considerations of children and the aging individual will be explored.
- Examine the characteristics of spirituality.
- Discuss spirituality and the spiritual care provider.
- Describe spiritually healing rituals.
- Differentiate between religion and spirituality.
- Compare and contrast spirituality in different cultural groups.
- Examine spiritual assessment and spiritual care.
- Describe therapeutic interventions for healing (music, art, movement, humor, and animal-assisted therapy).
- Describe creating sacred spaces and spiritually healing environments.
- Examine the spiritual dimension in end-of-life care.
- Discuss spirituality and the grieving process.
- Describe elements of spirituality, religion, and children.
- Examine the spiritual dimensions of aging.