COH605 Public Health Promotion
Lead Faculty: Dr. Gina Piane
Course DescriptionExploration of health status and issues in various communities. Application of the national agenda for health promotion and disease prevention in the United States. Emphasis on health disparities by socioeconomic status, ethnicity, gender, age, ability and literacy. Examination of diffusion of health innovations throughout communities.
- Identify the goals, objectives and health determinants related to the focus areas of the current Healthy People agenda for the nation.
- Identify health disparities among communities in the United States by socioeconomic status, ethnicity, gender, age and ability.
- Evaluate literacy levels of health information.
- Develop health education materials for a low literacy community.
- Apply the Diffusion of Innovation theory to the acceptance of health information in communities.
- Synthesize community health promotion interventions tailored for particular cultural groups.
- Evaluate community health promotion interventions in terms of cultural sensitivity and appropriateness.