COH317 Public Health Nutrition
Course DescriptionHuman nutrition is examined in the context of physical and emotional health across the lifespan. The cultural, economic and political context of nutrition in contemporary society is considered. Students develop a personal nutrition plan. Interventions designed to influence better eating habits in communities are examined.
- Appraise the characteristics and nutritional components of a healthy diet
- Differentiate disorders related to inadequate nutrient intake
- Distinguish the common nutrition-related concerns across the lifespan
- Examine the rationale for nutritional recommendations by public health professionals
- Examine major nutritional challenges by considering gender, socioeconomic status,and culture including religion.
- Evaluate interventions designed to modify nutrition intake in individuals and in communities
- Interpret nutritional recommendations for life-long self-improvement