Problem Solving Strategies
The aim in the course is not to impart any specific body of knowledge, but rather to foster the students’ understanding that mathematics is a science of identifying, solving problems and generalizing. The course includes the description of main approaches to solving standard and challenge math problems.
- Arrive at the solution after struggling with various attempts
- Prove mathematical statements by induction, exhaustion, contradiction and other strategies.
- Perform diagnosis on student work and make proper recommendations.
- Form and prove conjectures.
- Demonstrate confidence that they will either know an answer to their own students’ questions, or know where to look for an answer.
- Exhibit the unity of diverse mathematical fields.
- Encourage students to have fun with mathematics.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences