The Paralegal Specialist Certificate in Corporations is intended to introduce students to the legal skills required to serve the community effectively and ethically in a corporate law practice. The program provides an academic and practical education of uncompromising quality. The certificate is offered and ABA-approved at the Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks campuses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Discuss broad legal principles from the primary areas of law, such as Torts, Contracts, Real Property, and others, and explain the definitions of certain basic legal terms and phrases.
- Conduct legal research using manual and computer-assisted methods.
- Demonstrate the basic process of legal reasoning and analysis.
- Describe the paralegal’s role in a corporate law practice.
- Recognize how broad ethical principles apply to paralegals in a corporate law practice.
This program option requires the completion of 90 quarter units of coursework. It includes 8 courses, all of which are legal specialty courses. Please note that a minimum of 27 quarter units of general education course work (across at least three disciplines, such as social science, natural science, mathematics, humanities, foreign language, and English) are required by the American Bar Association.
All lower division general education courses must be completed at National University or another regionally-accredited institution. In the absence of transfer credit, additional general electives may be necessary to satisfy total units for the degree.
Students may earn more than one Paralegal Specialist Certificate. Generally, any course completed for any one Paralegal Specialist Certificate need not be repeated and will apply towards other Paralegal Specialist Certificates. Each certificate is tailored to include training in substantive legal analysis, drafting legal documents, and understanding procedural matters.
The Corporations Specialization covers case analysis, legal research, and documents for the formation, management, and dissolution of corporate entities. The following courses are specific certificate requirements.
- PLX 1000X Torts
- PLX 1001X Leg Res Wrtg-Briefing/Analysis
- PLX 1002X Contracts
- PLX 1003X Leg Res Wrtg-Legal Memo
- PLX 1804X Foundations of Property Law
- PLX 1005X Computers & the Law
- PLX 1806X Legal Writing Project
- PLX 1808X Essentials of Corporate Law
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.