ADR400 Alternative Dispute Resolution
Lead Faculty: Dr. Jack B. Hamlin
This introductory course will provide students with a broad understanding of ADR. The course will cover Negotiation, Mediation, Arbitration how each is used, and the advantages and disadvantages of each method. The course utilizes role plays, simulations, and case studies.
- Identify and describe the different methods of resolving disputes as alternatives to litigation.
- Comprehend the benefits and detriments of each major Alternative Dispute Resolution process.
- Describe the different roles played by the neutral and the parties in the various Alternative Dispute Resolution processes.
- Communicate mediation principles both orally and in writing.
- Apply dispute-resolution knowledge and skills in solving real-world conflicts.
- Recognize the role perception and communication plays in the negotiation process.
- Describe the need for establishing ground rules to promote effective team conduct.