Request Information

Please complete the form below, and an admissions advisor will contact you shortly.


Apply Now

Ready to take the next step?

The application process is easy. We accept and review applications year-round, and qualified applicants can begin classes any month of the year, depending on your program and location.

Click Apply Now to get started on the next exciting chapter of your life!

Apply Now

The Division of Extended Learning FAQs

Q: What is Extended Learning and why is it a good fit for me?

A: Extended Learning is committed to providing personal and professional enrichment opportunities by offering innovative and cost effective programs and resources to a diverse community in an evolving global environment. Our offerings are designed to fit into your demanding schedule by supporting various learning environments such as in the classroom, online, and on-site training. Whether you are looking to update your skills, prepare for the job market, or learn more about a subject you enjoy, our courses fit your needs.

Q: What is a CEU?

A: The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a uniform measure of non-credit continuing education learning experience. One CEU is awarded for every 10 contact hours of participation. Employers and others who routinely examine and evaluate individual accomplishments generally accept this unit of measurement. However, CEU's do not necessarily transfer into semester or quarter units. Each employer may evaluate National University's Division of Extended Learning CEU's differently. We advise our students to contact their employer or school district to verify how our CEU courses will be accounted for prior to enrolling in classes.

Extended Learning is an authorized provider of the CEU; benchmarked by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) standards. The IACET standard was approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in 2007 as the American national standard for continuing education and training. The IACET CEU is considered the hallmark of quality in continuing education and training.

Q: Do I need to be a National University student to take Extended Learning courses?

A: No. Although current National University students can take Extended Learning courses, this is not a requirement for admission.

Q: How do I register for an Extended Learning course?

A: Three steps to enroll:

•First complete the one page registration (upon successful registration you will be issued a student ID)

•You will then be directed to a link which allows you to complete the formal application (ending with submission of $25.00 registration fee payment)

•After completing application, please call Extended Learning at (858) 642-8600 to provide credit card payment for your class. A confirmation email of your enrollment will be sent to you within 48 business hours of this phone call.

Please note: Some Extended Learning courses and programs require a different application, which has a $60.00 registration fee. Any courses within the following programs require submission of the $60.00 application fee:

•National University Polytechnic Institute

•NU Golf Academy

•Academic and Paralegal Certificates.

Please contact NU Admissions at (800) 628-8648 x7200 to confirm eligibility for these programs.

Q: I am a current National University student, do I need to fill out an Extended Learning application?

A: Yes. An Extended Learning application must be completed and a one-time, non-refundable registration fee is required in order to take classes through the Division of Extended Learning.

Q: Is my Social Security Number required to register?

A: Yes. In order to issue a unique Student ID number, your Social Security Number is required. This Student ID number will be used for identification purposes while attending National University.

Q: How do I pay for a Division of Extended Learning course?

For all Extended Learning courses, payment is required prior to enrollment. You can make payments for Division of Extended Learning courses using a credit card a debit card or a check. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. Please contact a Student Services Coordinator at (858) 642-8600 to provide payment for your courses, after submitting an Extended Learning application.

Q: Can I use Financial Aid for Division of Extended Learning programs?

A: Some of our courses qualify for financial aid if they are part of a degree program or an 8 course certificate program. Our non-academic credit courses and some continuing education unit courses do not qualify for financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Department at National University for more information at (858) 642-8500.

Q: Can military assistance or veteran's benefits be applied toward the Division of Extended Learning courses?

A: Students wishing to apply for programs supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs can obtain information on how to apply for their benefits by visiting the Veterans Affairs Office located at 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego, CA 92123 or by calling (858) 541-7970. Office hours are 8:00 am -5:30pm Monday through Friday.

Q: Does Extended Learning offer financial aid?

A: There are a variety of funding options for Extended Learning classes. Below are some of the more common:

•Financial aid options may be available to students who enroll in certificate programs. Please contact the NU Financial Aid Department for more information at (858) 642-8500 or For enrollment or eligibility questions regarding academic certificates, please contact the NU Admissions Department at (800) NAT-UNIV or

•Financial aid cannot be applied to test preparation or VESi courses. Payment for all test preparation and VESi courses is required prior to the start date of the course.

•Ed2Go/Gatlin offers private education loans, military tuition assistance, and government funding options for those who enroll in their Career Training Program certificates. Please refer to the following link for more information:

•Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and San Diego Workforce Partnership. The WIOA is a federal act that offers a comprehensive range of workforce development activities through statewide and local organizations. In San Diego, this local organization is the San Diego Workforce Partnership (SDWP). The SDWP offers development activities that can benefit job seekers, laid off workers, youth, incumbent workers, new entrants to the workforce, veterans, persons with disabilities, and employers. The purpose of these activities is to promote an increase in the employment, job retention, earnings, and occupational skills improvement by participants. To learn more about WIOA funding:

•To find out if you are eligible for funding, visit one of the SDWP Career Centers:

•To view eligible National University Extended Learning programs, visit the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL):

•Employer tuition reimbursement information. Many employers offer tuition reimbursement for educational or professional development purposes. Please contact your Human Resources Department to inquire if your employer offers this benefit.


Q: Does Extended Learning offer any type of career services?

A: There are a variety of career related resources available. Below are some of the more common:

•Upon registration in a certificate program, students have access to National University’s career portal. Talent Marks provides tips, tools and best practices from top career authors and experts on how to manage your career and job searches and build a successful career strategy.

•Bureau of Labor Statistics:

•State of California, Employment Development Department; Labor Market info:

•San Diego Workforce Partnership Labor Market Resources

For more information, please call an Extended Learning advisor at (858) 642-8600 or e-mail us at