Transfer Your Credits To NU
Make a seamless transition from over 110 community colleges.
Earn your degree from a reputable, private nonprofit that's regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission.
185,000 Alumni Worldwide
Become a member of NU's global community.
Millions in Scholarships
Explore National University's scholarship opportunities. Eligibility requirements apply.
Choosing the university and degree program right for you can be stressful, and there are a number of things that should factor into your decision-making process. One of these factors is accreditation. The goal of accreditation is to ensure institutions of higher education meet acceptable levels of quality.
Accreditation is a process of institutional peer review performed by objective, not-for-profit external agencies. These agencies evaluate colleges, universities and educational programs for continuous quality. In other words, accreditation is a higher education seal of approval for schools, employers, and most importantly, for students. Students who earn a degree at a regionally accredited institution can be confident that the quality of education, and commitment of an institution to maintain and improve quality, meets the standards of the accrediting body.
Since 1977, National University has been regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Whether you’re just beginning your college education or continuing studies begun at National University or elsewhere, you can rest assured that NU adheres to the strictest standards set by WSCUC that maintain the level of quality you can expect from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
“National University honed my leadership skills and paved the way for career advancement.”
– Edward H., Class of 2021
In the United States, accreditation is an independent evaluation of educational quality and rigor. The federal Department of Education recognizes accrediting agencies that meet certain criteria, and that recognition carries with it both a mark of respect and access for their students to federal financial aid.
There are different types of accreditation available to universities and colleges, each with a unique purpose or role in the academic landscape.
- Institutional accreditation involves a comprehensive review of all institutional functions. Institutional accrediting organizations, Like WSCUC, accredit the institution rather than the individual programs, although new programs are reviewed through the substantive change process. Each accrediting commission and association has standards, policies, institutional review procedures, and staff that are specific to that commission.
- Programmatic accreditation represents an additional level of external peer evaluation and quality assurance that applies to specific programs within an institution. This type of accreditation focuses on how a program prepares students for a specific field and how it leads to professional practice. Employers and students can trust that the program meets quality standards set by the profession.
Since 1977, National University has been accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). The Commission accredits institutions rather than individual programs. Therefore, in addition to assessing the academic quality and educational effectiveness of institutions, the Commission emphasizes institutional structures, processes, and resources. The accreditation process is aimed at:
- Assuring the Community of Quality
- Developing and Applying Standards
- Promoting a Culture of Evidence
- Promoting Engagement
- Developing Adaptive Systems
- Promoting the Exchange of Ideas
Business Program Accreditation
The College of Professional Studies at National University has received specialized accreditation for its business program through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page.
National University is also:
- Accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) for the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Accredited by the National Council on the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) for educator preparation programs
- Approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
- Approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education for the baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at National University.
- Designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE IAE) for the Master of Science in Cyber Security and Information Assurance program
- Approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) for the offering of the Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies, Associate of Science in Paralegal Studies, and Paralegal Specialist Certificates
- Approved by the Association of Commercial Diving Educators (ACDE) for the offering of the Professional Certificate in Marine Technology
- Accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) for the offering of the Master of Public Health
- Accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) for the offering of the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) for the BS Radiation Therapy program
- Approved by the Nevada State Board of Education
- Certified by the Society of Human Resource Management for the Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- A member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- A member of the Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences (CCAS)
- A member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) through its American Language and Intercultural Studies program
Regional accrediting agencies only review schools within a specific geographic area – from traditional 4-year public brick and mortar universities and technical schools, to private colleges and premier online universities, such as National University. This gives you the assurance that all regionally accredited institutions meet the same stringent requirements.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Our innovative course structure empowers you to start sooner and finish faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Career-focused programs help you make a direct impact in your field.
Dynamic Online Learning
Flexible online coursework designed to accommodate busy adult learners.
Our admissions team reviews applications year-round so you can start next month.
Proudly serving active-duty and veteran students at home, on-base, and abroad.