Working with students who are autistic, deaf, or have learning disabilities requires special skills and training. A special education degree or special education credential from National University will prepare you to take on this noble and important work by providing unique insight and understanding into the role of special education in schools. You’ll learn to evaluate various methodologies and develop a process for establishing effective learning strategies for students with disabilities at a school-wide level.
Department Head: Dr. Susan PorterMeet Our Faculty
Choose from our Programs below
- Master of Education in Special Education with a Preliminary Ed Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate with Internship Option (California)
- Master of Education in Special Education with a Preliminary Ed Specialist Credential: Moderate/Severe with Internship Option (California)
- Graduate Certificate in Autism
- Early Childhood Special Education Add-on Authorization
- Preliminary Education Specialist Authorization Teaching Credential
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.