Working with students who are autistic, deaf, or have learning disabilities requires special skills and training. A special education degree or special education credential from National University will prepare you to take on this noble and important work by providing unique insight and understanding into the role of special education in schools. You’ll learn to evaluate various methodologies and develop a process for establishing effective learning strategies for students with disabilities at a school-wide level.
Department Head: Dr. Susan Porter
Choose from our Programs below
- Master of Education in Special Education with a Preliminary Ed Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate with Internship Option (California)
- Master of Education in Special Education with a Preliminary Ed Specialist Credential: Moderate/Severe with Internship Option (California)
- Graduate Certificate in Autism
- Early Childhood Special Education Add-on Authorization
- Preliminary Education Specialist Authorization Teaching Credential
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate with Internship Option (CA)
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Moderate/Severe with Internship Option (CA)
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.