The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling Certificate is designed to meet California state standards for certification of alcohol and drug abuse counselors. This undergraduate certificate program is approved by CAADAC education foundation CA Foundation for Advancement of Addiction Professionals. This program may not meet the requirements for certification in other states.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Establish professional relationships with diverse clients with alcohol and drug abuse and/or dependence issues.
- Demonstrate entry level counseling skills in working with individuals, groups, and families relative to alcohol and drug abuse and/or dependence issues.
- Assess and diagnose clients using DSM IV-TR alcohol and drug abuse and dependence criteria.
- Develop a treatment plan based on a biopsychosocial assessment of the individual’s strengths, weaknesses, problems, and needs.
- Develop case management plans for clients that bring services, agencies, resources, or people together with a planned framework of action.
- Adhere to established professional codes of ethics and standards of practice.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences