The Post-Graduate PMHNP Certificate program will prepare advanced practice nurses to provide primary mental health care for individuals, groups, and populations across the lifespan. This certificate program is designed for nurses who hold a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) or Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) who wish to advance their knowledge, education, and skills to practice in an advanced practice role as a PMHNP. This advanced practice nurse maintains a critical role in the health care team and ensures collaboration and the provision of safe, effective, coordinated care.
As an independent member of the health care team, and in partnership with patients, the PMHNP provides a variety of evidence-based services and therapies. The PMHNP assesses, makes diagnoses, and plans care for complex psychiatric and concomitant medical issues, including the prescription and management of psychopharmacologic agents. The PMHNP advocates for patients and their families within a recovery, and trauma-informed paradigm. The PMHNP ensures that patients and their families are engaged and actively participate in their behavioral health (mental health and substance use) care as they respond to the illness experience. The PMHNP continuously enhances their care through quality improvement and safety efforts and influences policy at the local, regional and national levels. The PMHNP melds the art and science of professional nursing and skillfully manages the acute and enduring issues posed by people with behavioral health issues across the lifespan.
Graduates of this post-graduate PMHNP Certificate Program are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner competency-based examination.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at National University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Synthesize theoretical and empirical knowledge derived from the physical and behavioral sciences and humanities as a basis for professional advanced clinical nursing practice.
- Devise evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention strategies at the patient, family, organizational, community, and population levels for the purpose of improving health care outcomes.
- Utilize current technologies to deliver, enhance, and document care across multiple settings to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Apply organizational and systems leadership to current healthcare issues for the promotion of quality, effective and safe patient care, including the emphasis on ethical and critical decision making, effective working relationships, and a systems-perspective approach.
- Model collaboration and coordination with interprofessional teams in health care systems delivering care to complex, multi-need patients, families and communities.
- Synthesize broad organizational, client-centered, and culturally appropriate concepts in the planning, delivery, management, and evaluation of evidence-based clinical prevention and population behavioral health care and services to individuals, families, and identified populations.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.