Intro Students w/Autism Spect
This course includes history, terms, law, rights of parents, and issues regarding service and programs. Students will develop understanding of successful teaching environment for students with ASD.
- Define and describe major models, theories, and philosophies that have formed the basis for thinking regarding those identified with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Identify the laws and legislation in state and federal litigation as it relates to screening, assessment, educational placement, behavior management, and educational programming for those with ASD.
- Identify and be able to discuss the issues in definition and identification of individuals with ASD, including those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Identify characteristics of typical and atypical human growth and development in relationship to those with ASD and related disorders.
- Describe the effects that ASD can have on an individual’s life from early onset through adulthood and discuss the importance of lifelong professional development as it is related to remaining current regarding research-validated practices in working with those with ASD and their families.
- Discuss a variety of social skills programs that are appropriate in teaching those with ASD across educational and other environments.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct on-going self-evaluation of instruction and interaction with families and other professionals in the field of working with those with ASD.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.