Typical/Atypical Dev Spec Need
Overview of typical and atypical development from birth to five including major theories, principles, concepts, and current research and practice dealing with the impact of delays, disabilities or chronic health impairments of the young child.
- Define and describe major child development theories, developmental stages and their implications for learning.
- Describe the nature and sequence of child development in each of the following domains: fine and gross motor development, cognitive development, socio-emotional development (including care-giver interaction), pre-symbolic and symbolic communication and language, play and physical and adaptive skills of daily living.
- Demonstrate knowledge of etiology and symptomology of common developmental disabilities or conditions in young children and their developmental impact, including disorders of central and peripheral nervous system, bones, muscles, and joints, metabolism, gastrointestinal track, heart, lungs, and circulation, sensory system.
- Describe the potential impacts of general and specific disabilities, delays or risk factors on parent-child interactions and on different domains of development.
- Demonstrates the ability to adjust developmental expectations to account for factors other than disability such as prematurity, emotional trauma, chronic illness, and environmental conditions.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, application, and analysis of several theoretical bases supported by research upon which early intervention and instructional techniques are developed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of a wide range of early childhood settings with a diversity of populations through a variety of observations and experiences.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.