Seminar in Modern Africa
Focused examination of primary and secondary sources as well as advanced research in the current scholarly debates on African history since ca. 1600. Areas may include, but are not limited to, political, economic, intellectual, cultural, social, environmental and diplomatic history.
- Organize the major historical themes and issues in the modern period of African history as presented and debated in the scholarly literature.
- Analyze the specific characteristics of, and similarities and differences between, works of major historians of modern Africa.
- Evaluate the theoretical and empirical approaches these historians take to the study of modern African history.
- Research the scholarly discussion of a topic in modern African history.
- Compose a professional commentary that integrates this research into a position paper that assesses that scholarly discussion and presents the student’s own critical approach to the topic.
- Produce a book review of publishable quality on a recent historical monograph in modern African history.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences