The Global Economy
Examines changes associated with globalization since World War II, including changes in technology, urbanization, finance, markets, lending, the internationalization of production, the organization of work, and power relations among nations and world cultures. Investigates both theories of and popular responses to the new global economy.
- Analyze the impact of a market economy on subsistence economies and households.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of limited corporations.
- Evaluate the development paths of ‘third’ world nations in regards to comparative advantage.
- Clarify the causes and forms of rural-urban migration in the periphery.
- Explain the growth and geographical shift of transnational production since World War II.
- Differentiate the major forms of international lending.
- Explain the goals and impact of IMF and World Bank lending policies.
- Assess the potential costs and benefits of international tourism to third-world countries and peoples.
- Identify the main tenets of alternative economic systems to neo-liberal economic globalization.
- Theorize a global economic system that can create the conditions needed for the realization of the common good and the preservation of the environment.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences