Leg Res Wrtg-Persuasive Wrtg.
Develops legal research skills through focused exercises using print and computerized research. Exposes students to primary and secondary legal authorities, with an emphasis on practice and ethical rules. Develops legal writing skills by implementing the IRAC method, synthesizing various legal authorities, and applying proper legal citation.
- Demonstrate manual legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, annotated codes, Shepard’s, and secondary sources.
- Apply computer legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, annotated codes, Shepard’s, and secondary sources.
- Differentiate between the issue, rule, analysis, and conclusion of a court opinion.
- Demonstrate the ability to use practitioner’s materials.
- Describe how to research legislative history, administrative materials, and practice rules.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply proper legal citation.
- Understand how to draft a brief, persuasive legal document, such as the argument section for a motion or an appellate brief.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.