Seminar in Urban Affairs
An examination of influences affecting decisions in the urban political arena. Covers segments of the community that impact the decision-making process (i.e., employee groups, labor influences, community groups, media and other special interests). Examines the relationship between intergovernmental agencies.
- Describe the American political structure.
- Explain the concept of American Federalism and its implementation in national, state and local government administration.
- Analyze the political party system and its effectiveness in representing citizens, minorities, issues, staffing and government funding for programs and services.
- Describe the roles of political leaders at the state and local level and their influence on government management, finance and bureaucracy.
- Explain the structure of court systems and the impact of judicial decisions on law enforcement and community politics, participation and programs.
- Analyze the models of community power and their effectiveness in determining and controlling land use and urban planning.
- Explain the role of ethics in the political decision-making urban arena.
- Analyze key urban cases and political philosophy, programs and procedures for dealing with civil rights and education.
- Describe, analyze and evaluate how voting patterns and demographic factors impact political urban decisions.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.