Short Film Practicum
Students work independently to write and produce an original short film. Covers the development process of a short script and applies cinematic concepts covered in the first year courses: MDC 660, 663, 664, 652, 662, and 661. Development drafts and revisions are submitted for peer and instructor critique. Running time must be less than ten minutes in length including titles. May be taken concurrently with other MDC courses. Course must be completed before thesis year. Upon completion of a first short film, the course may be taken a second time as an elective credit, but must be complete prior to MDC 693, Thesis Production. Grading is S or U only.
- Develop a narrative outline for a short film
- Generate a screenplay for a short film using the standard film industry format.
- Apply the underlying principles of a dramatic narrative, including the three-act structure, a dynamic central character driven by an objective and facing dramatic or comedic conflict through action.
- Tell a compelling story visually that engages the audience and conveys a central action idea.
- Apply editing techniques to convey the dramatic intentions of a film narrative
- Apply sound design techniques to convey the dramatic intentions of a film narrative.
- Apply the principles and techniques of cinematic design to convey the dramatic intentions of a film narrative.
- Engage in critical discourse with peers and mentors in the creative development and revision of a short film.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.