Covers the cinematic concepts developed by filmmakers over the last 100 years to engage the audience emotionally and to convey meaning about a subject. Students engage in ‘close readings’ of films to develop an understanding of essential concepts to convey dramatic intentions: axes of movement, composition, lighting, manipulation of time, and motion, editing techniques, production and sound design and the use of setting. Provides students with a foundation in critical thinking, research, analysis and deconstruction of movies.
- Evaluate the use of cinematic concepts used by filmmakers to engage the audience emotionally and to convey meaning.
- Deconstruct the visual cinematic design elements used in films to engage audience attention and emotions and to convey meaning and dramatic intent.
- Deconstruct the editorial concepts and techniques used by filmmakers to convey meaning and dramatic intent.
- Deconstruct the concepts and techniques of sound design used by filmmakers to convey meaning and dramatic intent.
- Deconstruct the concepts and techniques of production design, setting and environment used in films to convey meaning and dramatic intent.
- Engage in substantive critical discourse with peers in the analysis and deconstruction of films.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.