The Clinical Microbiology course is a comprehensive course which will cover major groups of pathogenic bacteria, fungi, parasites, and Mycobacteria. Students will learn correct safety procedures, differentiate BSL’s disinfection techniques, and BSC use. Study current trends in antibiotic use and their applications. Additionally study of human parasitic disease and Mycobacterial disease will be covered.
- Differentiate the major groups of bacteria.
- Differentiate a variety of diagnostic tests and their results to distinguish pathogenic from commensal organisms.
- Identify appropriate safety measures used by workers in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory.
- Describe the testing procedures for evaluating antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Describe the major pathogenic fungi ,the disease processes they cause, and differential morphological features of each.
- Describe the techniques used to identify yeast phase and mycelial phase fungi.
- Name the major human parasitic organisms, including round worms, flat worms, insects, protozoa, and blood parasites.
- Select the correct diagnostic tests used to isolate and identify human parasitic organisms.
- Select the diagnostic tests used to identify Mycobacteria, including colonial morphology, biochemical tests, anti-Mycobacterial drug testing, and expected patterns of sensitivity/ resistance.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 220,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.