NSG404 Pharmacology for Nurses
This course will synthesize pharmacological concepts including an overview of the history of drugs along with current issues. Pharmacotherapeutics, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, contraindications and precautions for prototype drugs for multiple body systems will be discussed. Major emphasis will be placed on nursing management practices as well as the nurse's role in pharmacological research.
- Discuss commonly used drug groups in relation to their actions, uses, side effects, and nursing implications.
- Identify the process involved in bringing a drug to market.
- Explain the role of the nurse in drug testing and marketing, particularly in the realm of patient advocacy.
- Compare and contrast gender, racial and ethnic differences in response to medication administration, action and response.
- Delineate nursing strategies to optimize reliable medication administration on the part of the patient.