Master of Science in Complementary & Integrative Healthcare
The Master of Science in Complementary and Integrative Healthcare (MSCIH) is a graduate professional degree designed to provide the student with advanced knowledge and skills in complementary and integrative healthcare practices. The complementary health care program prepares students to master their ability to develop a therapeutic relationship between clients and practitioners that highlights the integration of mind, body and spirit, identifies appropriate evidence-based practices and incorporates multiple modalities to achieve optimal health and healing. The curriculum emphasizes prevention, health maintenance, early intervention and patient-driven care. Recognizing that integrative health is more than practicing modalities, students will also develop skills in communication and leadership, business management and how to work within a transforming healthcare system.
Graduates with this degree will be able to apply their new knowledge and skills in many healthcare environments including hospitals, integrative health facilities, acute care facilities, private clinical practices, nursing homes, hospice, wellness centers, health clubs and corporate settings.
The degree is divided into three distinct areas of concentration. Initially, students learn the evidence supporting the use of integrative health and the impact of the Affordable Care Act on integrative care delivery. Second, many of the proven modalities are studied and experienced including but not limited to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) ayruvedic medicine, mind-body medicine, energy healing practices, nutrition, fitness, meditation, compassion cultivation,and expressive arts. Lastly, leadership, business management skills, coaching and consulting are included to provide graduates with practical competencies to lead an integrative health system.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate the numerous domains and principles of complementary and integrative healthcare practices.
- Develop practices and skills to be a mindful, reflective and culturally competent integrative healthcare practitioner.
- Design responsible management and leadership practices for integrative healthcare settings.
- Create evidence-based health and healing strategies for implementation and assessment with self and clients.
- Formulate an evidence-based research project related to complementary and integrative healthcare.
- CIH 600 Foundations of CIH
- CIH 610 Evidence Based Practice
- CIH 620 Health Policies and Issues
- CIH 630 The Energetic Body
- CIH 640 Lifestyle Management
- CIH 650 Healing Envir & Modalities
- CIH 660 Health Coaching & Consulting
- CIH 670 Integrated Healing Modalities
- CIH 680 Nutritional Medicine
- CIH 685 Mindfulness & Stress Mgt
- CIH 690 Business Mgt & Leadership
- CIH 699 Integrative Health Capstone